Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: I just got a couple of A7s

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Signalsparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2003
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh, another thing...

    I've got two A7 cabinets. I won't call them a pair because they are two different generations. Here's my parts list:

    2- 811B trumpets (one green, one black)
    1- 802D driver with good diaphragm
    1- 807-8A driver with a toasted diaphragm
    1- 515 speaker, looks good
    3- Cetec Gauss 5840, 2 are good, one has a scratchy voice coil
    2- replacement compression driver diaphragms, in transit
    1- 801-8A Network
    1- 16 ohm, 800hz network (forgot the model number, but it's the solder-terminal green one)

    I might be getting a pair of cabinets with a missing LF driver, but they have 511B horns with good drivers and N501 networks.

    I'd like to use these two speakers in my large living room, but be able to take them on the occasional DJ gig (Nothing like a pair of A7's to listen to Big Band music for a WWII veteran's birthday party!) to play to a small venue of people with hearing aids.

    If you look at my older posts and wonder what happened to the A7's I was working with, they all got sold off when the skating rink closed, before I could ask about them. (sob)

    Any input is appreciated.

    Should I go with the 800 or the 500 Hz system? I have a selection of amplifiers to choose from, and if I need to, I can biamp and skip the whole crossover mess if necessary.

    Should I try to get another Altec LF driver or can you folks look the other way while I sneak the Gauss drivers in?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    If your getting a pair of cabinets with a missing LF driver

    First find out what the LF driver is.

    If it's a 515 you could match them with help from GPA if it's 416 or 421 then you will have to order a new 515 from GPA.

    Convergence

    ..................................

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Signalsparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2003
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The other cabinets are homemade 9845A's, and there are, it turns out, two 416's. One needs reconing.

    I'd rather build up the A7's, even though resurrecting the 9845A's would be much less labor-intensive.

    Again, do you think I'd be happier with the 500Hz or the 800Hz setup?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    If you'r going to use it in small venues the 500
    XO is best

    That is if your horns are 511.If 811 then you have no choice 800 XO.

    ..........................................

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Signalsparks:

    .
    .
    Again, do you think I'd be happier with the 500Hz or the 800Hz setup?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The 811 horn is for 800Hz crossover. It would be nice to get the crossover down to 500Hz because you will get horn loading sooner and better dispersion verses the direct radiator LF driver. If you want a lower crossover freq, you need to get the 511 horn, but cost is not only in dollars but the 511 is a much bigger horn than the 811.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member just me now's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    230
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I prefer the 800Hz point with the bigger 511B horn... (i am running 802Gs)

    and if we are voting, I personally preferred the 515B woofer to the 416B if i had the choice...

    I do admit to using some subs to get lower....

    but even running w/o the subs, i felt the lower midrange from the 515Bs is just very special....

    sold the M19s I had in favor of 825 cabinets w/ 515Bs & 511B w/ 802Gs.....

    lately i have been running w/ the 515Bs in a 816A cabinet that is stacked on top of the 825s that are now filled with TAD 1601As... this has allowed me to run the 802Gs with no attunation at the active crossover i use...

    I am trying to get a good deal on both another pair of TADs and 515Bs to see which i prefer alone, but that has been a slow project.... :grin:

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member just me now's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    230
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "attenuation"

    oops....

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member just me now's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    230
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    FWIW the gauss are supposedly also very nice, but once they are damaged...

    they are toast, the correct cones/kits are NLA....

    this is all hearsay to me, but a few members here have expressed generally good feelings to the line on other forums i frequent....

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    I just got a couple of A7s


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't know if he still does, pretty sure Bill at GPA can also rebuild Gauss.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Signalsparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2003
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the input, guys.

    I think for the meantime I am going to use the 511B horns with the matching drivers after installing new diaphragms (they just came today), 500Hz networks, and the Gauss drivers. I'll probably sell off the mismatched other parts, except for the 515 and hope for another one to surface on ebay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.